Since Erin and Kathy have gotten us hooked on romance novels (good coffin reads), The Impalers have decided to have a guest author every Wednesday on the blog. We get to hear all about their latest book and then read their answers to questions about their writing (and other stuff we just wanted to know). We think we're the first official undead book club.
So today we're checking out J.C. Wilder...
Winter's Daughter by J. C. Wilder
Genre: Paranormal Romantic Suspense
Publication Date: December 7, 2007
The Coven, Book I
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...Twenty years after the untimely death of her mother and cruel separationfrom her sisters, Synnamon Angelov returns to her abandoned childhood homein Salem, Ohio. She is determined to find her sisters and search for theanswers behind the half-buried memories and nightmares that still plagueher. Not surprisingly, the superstitious people of Salem aren't all happy that Syn is back in town.
Here's what J.C. had to say in response to our questions:
1. Why do you write about vampires?
I didn't choose the genre, it chose me. When I began writing my first book,ONE WITH THE HUNGER, my hero Val simply appeared as one. It was a surprise to me.
2. If you could go on a date with a vampire, what would you do?
Depends if he's hungry or not. :)
3. Do you prefer long hair or short hair on your men (vampires, heroes, etc)?
Long. A girl needs something to hang on to when she gets her good night kiss. :)
4. Why do you think blood is red as opposed to say blue, or green? (We know about the whole oxygen thing, but why do we actually see it as red?)
Red is the color of your root chakra, the basis of all life. I cannot imagine it would be any other color.
5. What is your favorite vampire movie?
6. What is your favorite of the books you've written?
Usually it's the latest one. I'd say Winter's Daughter - there is more of mein that book than any other.
7. Would you like to stay up all night and sleep all day? What would you miss about day-walking?
I used to work nights so I lived that schedule for a year or so. I did miss seeing the sun but I can't think of any activity I missed. You can do just about anything at night that you can during the day, except for sunning yourself that is.
8. What celebrity do you suspect is a vampire?
Louis Black - no one can be that angst ridden without having lived at least two hundred years.
9. What food would you miss the most if you were a vampire?
Macaroni and Cheese, brownies and garlic bread - though not together of course.
10. If you were an Impaler, what instrument would you play?
Guitar, but I'm the most un-musical person on the planet. I can barely play a CD on a good day.
11. How did you start writing?
My father gave me a set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books and I instantly fell in love with the written word. Then I received a set of C.S. Lewis' Narniatales and that was it for me. I'd finally found a way to channel all of my creative energies into something that 'fit' me.
12. What is your favorite hobby? What would your hobby be if you were a vampire?
Making jewelry, painting - I don't think it would change should I become a vampire. In fact I'd probably have more time to play as I wouldn't have to cook!
13. What's your favorite song?
This is very possibly the most difficult question anyone has ever asked me.I am so into music, I traveled with an alternative rock band in my twenties,and I can't narrow it down to just one. So how about a few:Black - Pearl JamCuz I Can - PinkHibernation - Ted NugentThe Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys - TrafficThe End - Doors
14. Who is your idol?
15. Which Impaler would you date?
I've always had a thing for drummers...
16. Vampires or werewolves? Why?
Vamps! The whole furry thing just doesn't do it for me.
17. Where is your favorite place to go on vacation?
New Orleans, it's my second home.
18. If you were a vampire, where would you sleep? Coffin? Darkened bedroom? Crypt? Or other?
A coffin for one night, then I'd be over it. A nice, fluffy bed with heavycurtains.
19. If you weren't a writer, what would you be?
20. If you could be any preternatural creature, what would it be?
21. What's the best part of being a writer?
Being able to work in my underwear!
22. Of all the characters you've created, who's your favorite?
Syn from Winter's Daughter
23. What is your favorite color?
24. If you were a vampire, what time period would you have been turned in?
26. Who was a better vampire? Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise?
Brad Pitt - Cruise's character was SUCH a whiner!
Thanks, J.C... you are definitely a chick who knows her way around vampires. Make sure you stop by and say hey next time you're in New Orleans.
What do you all think? Is Tom Cruise a whiner?
Happy Hump Day,